In our fast paced world, it is easy to get caught up in highlighting what is on the surface. We draw quick conclusions on social status, wealth, education, resumes and appearances.
As we continue on our journey to build and strengthen our character, it is important to reinforce the real health and wealth of all of us, is measured on the inside…the quality of our heart. Our heart, or character, is our internal compass that drives our thoughts, decisions, and actions. Our character is built and strengthened over time by thoughts, decisions, and actions that are based on timeless and universal principles like honesty, service, and perseverance.
We all remember the story of David and Goliath. Well, before that big showdown between David and the giant Goliath, when God was directing the choice for the next king of Israel, He reinforced the truth that “People look at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7). David was chosen to be the next king because of the quality of his heart long before the people witnessed his courage in defeating the giant Goliath.
Just like we periodically go to the doctor to get a routine physical and a checkup on our heart, we need to be reminded to do a heart checkup on our character. The questions on our heart checkup may sound something like:
- Are we willing to turn toward a problem or do we walk/run away from it?
- Are we willing to serve a purpose greater than our own or do we just focus on ourselves?
- Are we willing to be proactive to help or are we still waiting for someone to ask?
- Are we willing to remain humble in great achievements and persevere in the face of failure?
- Are we willing to accept the truth that there is no finish line for the important things in life?
Our heart, or character, stays strong and healthy when our thoughts, decisions, and actions are guided by principles like loyalty, courage, and commitment. As we build and strengthen our character it is important to reinforce that Character Creates Opportunity® to reach our hopes and dreams regardless of our situation.