The pace of innovation in our world continues to accelerate. Innovation is the gateway to improving our lives in some very practical and meaningful ways. The technology enabling a plane to be flown on auto-pilot across the globe, a self-driving taxi and drones that are programed to arrive at our doorstep with a package delivery is changing so many roles in our day to day lives.
Automation brings the luxury of just going through the motions without much risk. As we continue on our journey to build and strengthen our character, there is a very real risk of apathy and detachment if we consistently just go through the motions on auto-pilot in the important areas of our lives.
Sure, we all get stuck in a rut once in a while. That rut can become a coffin with the ends kicked out if we remain there too long, so the real question we have to ask ourselves is, “Are we just showing up and going through the motions in some important areas of our life?”
- Is the meeting at work just another meeting in a succession of meetings?
- Is the jam packed, hectic schedule in our homes just a big mind-numbing drill?
- Is the sunrise, in all its glory, just another time check for the start of a new day?
Are we just going through the motions on auto-pilot?
Here are a few risks if we are just going through the motions in the important areas of life:
- We are not fooling anybody. If we continually just show up on auto-pilot, eventually our teammates, spouse, kids, and boss figure it out and we get dismissed rapidly and without warning. We miss the opportunity available in the moment right in front of us and the moment is all we really have to count on.
- We set an example that is contagious like a bad virus and then our home, workplace and community begin to display the tell-tale signs of a life on auto-pilot, apathy and detachment. It sets a bad trend in motion.
On the contrary, what if each day we reacted with the energy as if “the President is calling.” We hear a lot these days about people being called to meet with the President-elect. I am sure those people are bringing their “A game” to that meeting. I doubt anyone is just showing up on auto-pilot and just going through the motions.
Well, the truth is, the president has called and continues to call us. It just so happens that for the 99.9% of us, the president is in our homes, our workplace, and our community. Are we on auto-pilot and going through the motions in these daily opportunities, or are we bringing our A game?
As we shutoff the auto-pilot and get engaged to make a positive difference in the important areas of our lives, we build and strengthen our character and Character Creates Opportunity® to have an amazing journey and an unlimited positive impact on world.